Monday, July 16, 2007

The Gospel of Gryffindor

Never mind the hystrionics of one of my fellow Georgians, I think Harry Potter has plenty of the Gospel (as in Good News) hidden within its mythology of magic and witchcraft. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was my favorite so far because it has a lot of challenging messages within it that are not inconsistent with my brand of Christianity. I liked the scene when Harry is fighting off the mind-control of Voldemort and Dumbledore says to him, "You are more unlike him than you are like him" and Harry winds up screaming to Voldemort, "I feel sorry for you! You'll never have what I have..." (which is love- real, selfless love). Hmmmmm... sound familiar?

John 15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." What saved Harry in the first book, as well as in this latest film installment, was nothing he did with his will, or his wizard skill. What saved Harry was his relationship with his friends and the self-sacrificial love that he practiced as a part of who he was. (Can we say "Holy Spirit" anyone??) "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is a great sermon. As Jesus once said , "For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother. (Matthew 12:50)

See, even liberal Christians can use proof texting to serve our ends. At least the end I am trying to reach here is that, in the end, love wins. Argue with that, my fundie friends!!!


No comments: